A couple of weeks ago I found myself sitting on a beach in Vietnam, miffed that my year abroad was about to come to a crashing halt, and desperately trying to find one more place to visit in Asia before I would have to go back to work. I wanted somewhere a little off the touristy trail (so not Bali then) somewhere I hadn’t been before (there goes Laos), somewhere survivable on my pitiful backpackers budget (adios, Philippines) and of course somewhere I would find remotely interesting (sorry, Singapore). So that left Myanmar (Or Burma, if you are imperially inclined).
We all know that the economy sucks right now. Our financial system is in shambles and many of us are losing our jobs and can’t pay mortgages.
The times are tough.
Unless you are a traveler. If you aren’t being affected too much by the current economic situation, you might want to check out some travel deals that are being offered.
I’ve never been one to book a package deal with air and hotel bundled together, but if you’re traveling with somebody there have been quite a few good deals but they require a two-person minimum purchase. Often that makes it not such a good deal when you factor in the hotel cost so be sure to pay attention to that.
But for the traveler who is just looking for great airfare deals, there are plenty at the moment. Here are a few I’ve found recently (all prices include taxes and fees):
- Los Angeles to Honolulu – $335 round trip on Hawaiian Air. American Airlines, United and Delta are just slightly higher.
- Los Angeles to Maui – $415 round trip on American Airlines.
- Los Angeles to Sydney or Brisbane, Australia – $680 round trip all the way through October on United.
- Los Angeles to Paris – $590 round trip on United or Air France (I really like Air France!) through May.
- Los Angeles to San Jose, Costa Rica – $350-$450 round trip all summer long.
I’m sure there are plenty of similar fares from most major airports. I highly recommend Kayak to search for flights.
Find any good deals out there? Where are you off to next? Share in the comments!